Fresh Strawberry Victoria Sponge Cake
Makes one large 8-inch cake
For the cake
- 300g / 1½ cups white sugar
- 300g / 1¼ cups + 2 Tbsp butter, softened to room temperature
- 6 large eggs, beaten well
- 300g / 2 cups + 5 Tbsp all purpose flour, sifted
- 5½ tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp whole milk
- 1 generous pinch of salt
For the filling
- 100g / 7 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 140g / 1¼ cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 185g / 6.5oz strawberry preserves
- 2 punnets fresh strawberries
- More powdered sugar to decorate
- Preheat your oven to 190C / 380F and butter and line with parchment paper, two round cake pans measuring 20cm /8 inches across. Butter the paper too.
- In a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or large bowl, whisk together the white sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add in the eggs, in a slow steady stream. Remove from the mixer and gradually fold in the flour, baking powder, milk, and salt using a spatula. Mix gently until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Divide the batter between the two cake pans and bake for about 25 minutes until lightly golden on the top and the cake springs back when touched. You can also test the center with a skewer and when it comes out clean, you know it is done. Once done, tip out onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the buttercream filling. In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or large bowl, beat together the butter and the icing sugar until smooth and creamy. Add the vanilla extract and beat well until incorporated.
- Spread the buttercream filling over the top of one cake and spread the strawberry preserves over it. Take one punnet of the strawberries, trim off the green tops, and thinly slice the berries. Scatter the strawberry slices on top of the preserves. Top with the other cake and press down gently to make it secure. Spread more buttercream on the top of the cake and finish with the remaining whole fresh berries. Using a fine sieve, dust the berries with icing sugar to decorate.
- Serve immediately with a cup of tea.