Korean Chicken Skewers
Serves 4 Skewers
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 450g (1lb) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut crosswise into 24 strips (3/4 inch wide)
- 12 large shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and halved
- 24 3-inch-long pieces scallion (from 2-3 bunches), white & light green parts only
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons Ssamjang
- Combine mirin, tamari, sesame oil and garlic in a large bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator, stirring occasionally, for at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Toss mushrooms and scallions with canola oil and salt in a medium bowl. Thread scallions, chicken and mushrooms alternately onto each of 8 skewers, allowing a little space between each ingredient for even cooking.
- Oil the grill rack. Grill the skewers, turning once, until the vegetables and chicken are charred and cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes total. Serve with Ssamjang.
Galbi Steak Pie
Judy’s ultimate guide to Korean food. Get started on your journey! Find out the chef’s top kitchen necessities and best places to eat in Seoul.
Explore Seoul’s fun, vibrant and colourful flavours at our Korean-American street-food restaurant: Seoul Bird. Visit and celebrate with us.
Shop cookery books and affiliated discounts for Judy’s favourite luxury kitchenware, home accessories and beauty products.