Korean Chicken Skewers
Serves 4 Skewers
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 450g (1lb) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut crosswise into 24 strips (3/4 inch wide)
- 12 large shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and halved
- 24 3-inch-long pieces scallion (from 2-3 bunches), white & light green parts only
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons Ssamjang
- Combine mirin, tamari, sesame oil and garlic in a large bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator, stirring occasionally, for at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Toss mushrooms and scallions with canola oil and salt in a medium bowl. Thread scallions, chicken and mushrooms alternately onto each of 8 skewers, allowing a little space between each ingredient for even cooking.
- Oil the grill rack. Grill the skewers, turning once, until the vegetables and chicken are charred and cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes total. Serve with Ssamjang.