PANCAKE DIPPING SAUCE (CHOGANJANG)
This versatile, ubiquitous sauce can be used for all Jeon (pancakes), and also Mandu (dumplings). Cho, meaning vinegar, and Ganjang— soy sauce, depict its simple base; the richness from the soy sauce, paired with a sharp zing from the vinegar works magically together. There are countless variations of Choganjang, all with their own unique sparkle of seasoning; I love to add spring onions, chilli and sesame seeds as they get stuck to the little crevices when mopping up.
MAKES ABOUT 120 ML (4 FL OZ)
- 60 ml (2 fl oz) soy sauce
- 11⁄2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp crushed roasted sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp gochugaru (Korean chilli flakes)
- 2 spring onions, very thinly sliced on an angle
- In a small bowl, stir together all the ingredients. Cover and store in the fridge if not using immediately.