These little skewered chicken meatballs are the perfect pre-game starter. I love their gingery kick, and the thin flour coating helps them brown better, giving them a nice flavourful caramelized crusty outside. This recipe works well for making chicken burgers too, with Gochujang Mayonnaise slathered on top.
Makes 20 meatballs
- 500g (1lb 2oz) chicken mince, preferably thigh meat
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced at an angle 2 tsp garlic, peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 50g (2oz) panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp whole milk
- 2 tbsp gochujang (Korean chilli paste)
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 11⁄2 tsp sea salt
- 1⁄2 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- vegetable oil, for frying
- a pinch of roasted black sesame seeds
- Sriracha or Gochujang Mayonnaise, for dipping
- For the meatballs, in a large bowl, gently mix together the chicken mince, spring onions, garlic, ginger, egg, panko, milk, gochujang, soy sauce, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Form the mixture into about 20 golf ball-sized (35g/11⁄4oz) meatballs. Spoon the flour onto a plate, then roll the meatballs in the flour, shaking off the excess.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium–high heat. Drizzle generously with oil. Working in batches so as not to overcrowd the pan, place the meatballs in the pan and fry for about 5–6 minutes, until cooked through, rotating often to cook evenly.
- Serve the meatballs immediately with skewers, garnished with chives and sesame seeds, with Sriracha or gochujang mayonnaise on the side.
Grilled Summer Asparagus Salad with Parmesan, Cherry Tomatoes and Prosciutto
MEATY DUMPLINGS (Mandu)
Explore Seoul’s fun, vibrant and colourful flavours at our Korean-American street-food restaurant: Seoul Bird. Visit and celebrate with us.
Shop cookery books and affiliated discounts for Judy’s favourite luxury kitchenware, home accessories and beauty products.
Judy’s ultimate guide to Korean food. Get started on your journey! Find out the chef’s top kitchen necessities and best places to eat in Seoul.